And the newspaper gives five reasons why:
- Platinum has outperformed gold and silver in the short-term and over the past year.
- Strong car sales mean higher platinum prices, particularly since 40 percent of mined platinum goes into catalytic converters.
- Mine strikes in South Africa have seriously dampened platinum supplies.
- Mining costs have out-stripped platinum prices for a lot of companies – a fact that will likely lead even more producers to cut their platinum output.
- Growth in China means more platinum jewelry sales.